- +31 20 59 86303
- faculteit der rechtsgeleerdheid/faculty of law ( transnational legal studies )
- Professor in European Law
Gareth Davies was a barrister in London before being a University Lecturer at the University of Groningen (2000-2007) and then moving to Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (2007 to the present). In 2006 he was an Emile Noel Fellow at New York University Law School, and in 2014 a Fernand Braudel Senior Fellow at the EUI. Gareth Davies also teaches at Amsterdam University College. He is the co-author, with Damian Chalmers and Giorgio Monti of EU Law (3rd edn, Cambridge University Press, 2014). He is one of the leaders of the European Constitutionalism theme of ACCESS Europe, an Amsterdam inter-university European studies research platform (accesseurope.org).
Onderwijsactiviteiten / educational activities
EU Internal Market Law
Law, Behaviour and the Functioning of Markets
EU Anti-Discrimination Law
EU Law (Amsterdam University College)
Beginselen Europees Recht (werkgroepen)
Onderzoeksactiviteiten / research activities
Gareth Davies participates in the research programme ‘Boundaries of Law’.
His research concerns primarily the division of powers between the EU and Member States, particularly in the context of economic integration. He has written on the internal market, subsidiarity, the preliminary reference procedure, and the balancing of interests in economic law. As part of a VIDI project funded by the Netherlands Scientific Organisation from 2010-2015 he examined the constitutional and policy implications of PPM regulation within the EU. He is currently a co-leader of a Norface funded project, TransJudFare, on the impact of the European Court of Justice on national welfare policies. He also participates in the Amsterdam Global Change Institute, and has written on the law and policy of geoengineering (climate manipulation).
He welcomes applications for external PhD research in his fields of interest, and is also available to supervise PhDs via the ACCESS Europe part-time PhD programme (see accesseurope.org)
European integration, EU Constitutional law, Free Movement of goods and services, EU citizenship, the UK and the EU, Geoengineering.
- The European Union Legislature as an Agent of the European Court of Justice (2016) Journal of Common Market Studies. doi: 10.1111/jcms.12353
- Democracy and legitimacy in the shadow of purposive competence. (2015) European Law Journal, 21 (1), 2-22. doi: 10.1111/eulj.12079
- Internal market adjudication and the quality of life in Europe. (2015) The Columbia Journal of European Law, 21 (2), 289-328. See also ssrn.com.
- Legislative control of the European court of Justice. (2014) Common Market Law Review, 2014 (51), 1579-1608.
- The process and side-effects of harmonisation of European welfare states, Jean Monnet Working Paper 2/06, www.jeanmonnetprogram.org, (2006)
- Subsidiarity: the wrong idea, in the wrong place, at the wrong time (2006) 43 Common Market Law Review 63-84.
View all publications
View all VU-publications, in Metis VU.
Postadres / postal address
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Faculteit der Rechtsgeleerdheid
De Boelelaan 1105
1081 HV Amsterdam