This page has been moved. You are being redirected.
- +31 20 59 83239
- faculteit der rechtsgeleerdheid/faculty of law ( transnational legal studies )
Download curriculum vitae of Tanja Aalberts.
Tanja Aalberts is director of the research Centre for the Politics of Transnational Law and conducts research in the programme Boundaries of Law. Her main fields of interest are International Relations theory and legal theory, the interplay between inter¬national law and international politics in practices of governance. One of the focal points of her research are conceptualizations of sovereignty in legal-political discourse. Apart from engaging in (meta)theoretical analyses, she has more recently applied these insights to different practices of contemporary governance, in publications on inter alia the Counterterrorist Committee, state failure, and irregular boat refugees. She is currently working on a book project that analyses the interplay between responsibility, legalization and politics within international society in the globalized context. She participates as working group director in the COST Action IS1003 ‘International Law between Constitutionalisation and Fragmentation’.
International Relations theory, International legal theory, the politics of international law, international society, global governance, interdisciplinarity.
- Constructing Sovereignty between Politics and Law, New International Relations Series, London/New York: Routledge, 2012
- Power of Legality (co-edited with Nikolas Rajkovic and Thomas Gammeltoft-Hansen), Cambridge University Press, 2016 (forthcoming)
- ‘Sovereignty at Sea: The law and politics of saving lives in the Mare Liberum’ (co-authored with Thomas Gammeltoft-Hansen), Journal of International Relations and Development 17(4), 2014
- 'Playing the Game of Sovereign States. Charles Manning’s constructivism avant-la-lettre’, European Journal of International Relations 16(2), 2010
VU University Amsterdam
Faculty of Law
De Boelelaan 1105
1081 HV Amsterdam