This page has been moved. You are being redirected.
- +31 20 59 88961
- faculteit der rechtsgeleerdheid/faculty of law ( bureau van de faculteit )
Louis Sicking is Aemilius Papinianus professor in the History of Public International Law at VU University Amsterdam since 1 September 2013. Since 2001 he lectures Medieval and Early Modern History at Leiden University. Previously he worked at the European Parliament in Brussels, Luxemburg and Strasbourg. Sicking did a research master in overseas history at the University of Aix-en-Provence (Aix-Marseille I) and took his doctoral thesis in 1996 at Leiden University. He was a visiting fellow at Columbia University in New York City and at NTNU Trondheim and held fellowships from the Dutch research council (NWO), the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), the Netherlands Institute for Advances Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIAS) and the Norwegian government.
History of Public International Law
Louis Sicking conducts research in the programme Boundaries of Law. Some of his current projects:
- Risk management, interest groups and legislation. Local, regional and international dynamics in the maritime transport sector of the Low Countries, c. 1550-1650
- Information Management and Diplomatic Culture: Cornelis de Schepper (Scepperus) as Ambassador of Emperor Charles V
- European expansion in the Indian Ocean and Pacific, 1450-1850’, in: D. Parrot and A. Waldron eds., The Cambridge history of warfare III
- ‘Le maritime, fondement de la prédominance commerciale et économique des Provinces Unies’, Océanides
- Louis Sicking receives NWO grant for Maritime Conflict Management in Atlantic Europe
Medieval and early modern history, maritime and overseas history, history of international public law, and the history of diplomacy and international relations in the medieval and early modern periods.
- Sicking, Louis, Neptune and the Netherlands. State, Economy and War at Sea in the Renaissance (Leiden and Boston: Brill 2004)
- Sicking, Louis, Colonial Borderlands. France and the Netherlands in the Atlantic in the 19th century (Leiden and Boston: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers 2008)
- Sicking, L.H.J., and C.H. van Rhee eds., Briève instruction en causes civiles. Filips Wielant verzameld werk II (Brussels: Koninklijke Vlaamse Academie van Wetenschappen van België 2009)
- Sicking, Louis & Nimwegen, Olaf, van & Prud'Homme van Reine, Ronald & Vliet, Adri, van & Groen, Petra, De Tachtigjarige Oorlog. Van opstand naar geregelde oorlog. Militaire geschiedenis van Nederland 1 (Amsterdam: Boom 2013)
- La naissance d'une thalassocratie. Les Pays-Bas et la mer à l'aube du Siècle d'or (Parijs 2015)
All VU University Amsterdam-publications, via Metis
VU University Amsterdam
Faculty of Law
De Boelelaan 1105
1081 HV Amsterdam