This page has been moved. You are being redirected.
- +31 20 59 86322
- faculteit der rechtsgeleerdheid/faculty of law ( bureau van de faculteit )
- Professor Sociology of law
Bert Niemeijer studied law and sociology and has worked as sociologist of law at various universities. He was a Fellow of the Institute for Legal Studies (Madison, Wisconsin, USA). Thereafter he worked as deputy director at the research center (WODC) of the Ministry of Justice. He was on the board of various professional associations and journals. At present he works as strategy coördinator at the Ministry of Justice and as (part time) professor sociology of law.
Sociology of law
Law and practice
Bert Niemeijer conducts social scientific research on dispute processing, the judiciary and the social working of legal rules. Recently he edited (with Nick Huls) a special issue about ‘Care and law’ (2010). At this moment he prepares a special issue about liability law from an empirical perspective and he conducts research on trust in the rule of law.
Social scientific study of law; evaluation, dispute processing, judiciary, trust in the rule of law
- Can voluntary debt settlement and consumer bankruptcy coexist? The development of Dutch insolvency law, in: J. Nieuni-Kiesilainen, I. Ramsay, W.C. Whitford, Consumer Bankruptcy in global perspective, Oxford/Portland, Hart Publishing, 2003, pp. 303-318 (met N. Huls en N. Jungmann)
- Court-based mediation in The Netherlands: research, evaluation and future expectations, Penn State Law Review, 2005, vol. 110, nr. 2, pp. 101-136, (met M. Pel)
- Vanishing or increasing trials in the Netherlands? Journal of dispute resolution, vol. 2006, nr. 1, pp. 71-107 (met C. Klein Haarhuis)
- ‘Hoeveel recht kunt u betalen? Over verklaringen van geschilgedrag en het gebruik van procedures’. In: W.H. van Boom, I. Giesen, A.J. Verheij (red.), Gedrag en Privaatrecht - Over gedragspresumpties en gedragseffecten bij privaatrechtelijke leerstukken, Den Haag: BJU 2008 (met C.M. Klein Haarhuis), p. 537-561
- ‘Synthesising legislative evaluations – Putting the pieces together’. Evaluation, SAGE Publications, 2009 Vol. (15) 4: 1-23 (met C.M. Klein Haarhuis)
All VU University Amsterdam-publications, via Metis.
VU University Amsterdam
Faculty of Law
De Boelelaan 1105
1081 HV Amsterdam