This page has been moved. You are being redirected.
- Assistant professor
Barbora Hola works as Assistant Professor at the Department of Criminal Law and Criminology, VU University Amsterdam. She is a fellow at the Center for International Criminal Justice. In 2006 Barbora received her Law degree (summa cum laude) at the Faculty of Law, Charles University in Prague. In 2007 she received LL.M in International and European Law at the University of Amsterdam. In 2012 Barbora obtained her PhD in supranational criminology from the VU University Amsterdam. In the past, Barbora worked as a legal counsel at the Public International Law and Policy Group (PILPG), a global pro-bono law firm, and at the ICTY. In 2014 Barbora was a Visiting Scholar at the Center for the Study of Law and Society, University of California, Berkeley, USA.
Perpetrators & Bystanders
Barbora Hola conducts research in the programme Empirical and Normative Studies.
Barbora focuses on issues of transitional justice, in particular (international) criminal trials, sentencing of international crimes and enforcement of international sentences. In her PhD entitled “International sentencing – “A Game of Russian Roulette” or Consistent Practice?” (2012) Barbora conducted an empirical, quantitative study of sentencing at the ICTY and ICTR and evaluated its consistency. In 2013, the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research awarded Barbora the prestigious VENI grant for a project on vertical (in)consistency of international sentencing in which Barbora analyzes sentencing of international crimes by international and domestic courts. In addition, Barbora (together with Joris van Wijk) runs the research project “When Justice Is Done” focusing on post-conviction stage at the international criminal tribunals.
International criminal law
Criminology of international crimes
Enforcement of international sentences
- Hola B., Smeulers A. and Bijleveld C.: Is ICTY Sentencing Predictable? Empirical Analysis of ICTY Sentencing Practice, 22 Leiden Journal of International Law 2009, 79-92
- Hola B., Smeulers A and Bijleveld C.: International Sentencing Fact and Figures: Sentencing Practice at the ICTY and ICTR, 9 Journal of International Criminal Justice 2011, 411-439
- Hola B., Smeulers A. and Bijleveld C.: Consistency of International Sentencing – ICTY and ICTR Case Study, 9 European Journal of Criminology, 2012, 539-552
- Hola B., Wijk J.: Life After Conviction at International Criminal Tribunals: Empirical Overview. 12 Journal of International Criminal Justice 2014, 109-132.
- Hola B., Pluralism in Sentencing. Invited contribution to E. van Sliedregt, S. Vasiliev (Eds.): Pluralism in International Criminal Law, to be published by Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Smeulers A., Weerdesteijn M., Hola B.: The Selection of Situations by the ICC - An Empirically Based Evaluation of the OTP's Performance. 15 International Criminal Law Review 2015, 1-39.
All VU University Amsterdam-publications, via Metis.
VU University Amsterdam
Faculty of Law
De Boelelaan 1105
1081 HV Amsterdam