This page has been moved. You are being redirected.
- +31 20 59 86217
- 1a-46, 1a-44
- externe organisaties ( nscr ), faculteit der rechtsgeleerdheid/faculty of law ( criminologie )
- associate professor
Joke Harte studied psychology and research methodology at the University of Amsterdam, where she also obtained her doctorate. She subsequently worked in several forensic psychiatric clinics. Her studies, predominantly focus on empirical research on the borders between psychiatry and criminal law. She is currently an Associate Professor in the Criminal Law and Criminology, research fellow at the NSCR and she is the programme leader of the research group of the Penitentiary Psychiatric Centre Zaanstad. Moreover, she is a member of the Council for the Administration of Criminal Justice and Protection of Juveniles.
Introduction in psychology (Bachelor 1)
Methods of empirical research (Bachelor 2)
Criminal careers and interventions (Master)
Effective interventions; What works? (Master)
Joke Harte conducts research in the programme Empirical and Normative Studies.
Her research predominantly focuses on the borders between psychiatry and criminal law. Main research topics are: the relationship between delinquency and mental disorders, prosecution and punishment of offenders with a psychiatric disorder, risk assessment, methods and designs for the evaluation of interventions. Joke Harte is also the initiator and leader of the research project Violence in Psychiatry.
Psychiatric problems and delinquency, violence in psychiatry, psychiatry in detention, criminal responsibility, mandatory treatment, risk assessment, evaluation studies.
- Denzel, D.A., Esch, A., Harte, J.M. & Scherder, E.J.A. (2016) Ethnic variations in psychotic disorders in the criminal justice system: A systematic review. Aggression and Violent Behavior. DOI: 10.1016/j.avb.2016.05.006
- Lamsma, J. & Harte, J.M. (2015). Violence in psychosis: conceptualizing its causal relationship with risk factors. Aggression and violent behavior, 24(5), 75-82. DOI: 10.1016/j.avb.2015.05.033.
- Harte, J.M. (2015). Preventing crime in cooperation with the mental health care profession. Crime, Law and Social Change. DOI: 10.1007/s10611-015-9589-z.
- Leeuwen, M.E. van & Harte, J.M. (2015). Violence against mental health care professionals: prevalence, nature and consequences. The Journal of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology. DOI: 10.1080/14789949.2015.1012533.
- Meijers, J., Scherder, F. & Harte, J.M. (2015). Disturbed sleep as a risk factor for aggression in prisoners with a psychotic illness: a brief report. Psychology, Crime & Law, 21(10), 968-972. DOI: 10.1080/1068316X.2015.1077246.
VU University Amsterdam
Faculty of Law
De Boelelaan 1105
1081 HV Amsterdam